Shag carpets and rugs have a deep pile that feels luxurious and looks amazing. Typically available in lengths from mini to long, shag carpets require special care to keep the fibers in quality condition. To keep your carpets looking their best for longer, learn shag rug cleaning tips from the experts at ServiceMaster Clean®.
Shag carpet care
Like any other type of carpeting, shag accumulates dirt, dust, pet dander, allergens and more. Since shag-style features a longer and looser pile, the fibers need special care to help minimize unsightly damage. Follow these tips to help keep your shag carpets and rugs clean:
How to vacuum shag carpets
Lots of factors determine how often you should clean your carpets. As a best practice, any rug or carpeted area that sees high traffic every day can benefit from daily vacuuming. However, a long-style shag rug or frieze carpet requires a different technique than a Berber or looped pile carpet. Use these vacuuming tips to keep your shag carpet in good shape:
- Turn the vacuum’s beater bar off to keep it from pulling and loosening the carpet fibers on long shag.
- Use the high pile setting for short and mini shag styles.
- Flip over area shag rugs and vacuum the underside to remove more dirt without pulling any fibers.
- Vacuum often to refresh the carpet’s appearance and reduce fiber matting.
The high pile setting on the vacuum can help it glide smoother and easier across the carpeting, reducing the risk of snagging fibers and creating fray. While daily vacuuming is ideal, try to vacuum your shag carpets at least once or twice a week to maintain them in between professional cleanings.
How to clean shag carpets
Shag carpets also have special cleaning methods when it comes to cleaning up spills. If you spill something or find a stain in your shag carpets, follow these cleaning tips:
- Blot spills immediately with a clean rag to reduce the amount of liquid that soaks into the fibers.
- Do not rub at a spill, as this can spread the stain to more fibers and cause fraying.
- Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines if you use any spot treatment.
- Deep clean shag or frieze styles at least once a year to maintain their quality condition.
If your shag rugs are small enough and the tags say it can be machine washed, you may also throw them in your washer to clean them. Afterward, lay them out and let them air dry. However, if you have larger shag rugs or wall-to-wall carpeting, it may be best to leave the annual deep cleaning and stain removal techniques to the professionals.
Our carpet cleaning services use the best equipment and technology available to restore the look and feel of your flooring. By professionally removing stains, spots and allergens, plus reducing the spread of germs and diseases, we can help keep your home healthy while extending the life of your carpets. Contact us today to learn more about our carpet cleaning services.