Back to School Clean up Checklist
Schools can harbor plenty of germs, which makes regular cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting a must. Since summer break is almost over and children will head back to school with their new supplies, books, and germs in tow, now is the perfect time to prepare. Clean your school thoroughly this summer to ensure everything is shiny and up to code for returning students and staff. Follow this handy cleaning checklist from the experts at ServiceMaster Clean to simplify your summer cleaning and prepare for the upcoming school year.
Importance of Cleaning
A clean, well maintained school will help keep the facility healthy and safe for your students and staff. Along with disinfecting the area and getting rid of germs, a thorough school cleaning can also help prevent allergens from building up and causing irritable side effects. In order to ensure your school is cleaned properly, have your janitorial staff use a school cleaning checklist and mark off every step as they complete it. That way, your summer cleaning will prepare your students and staff.
The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) explains that regular cleaning and maintenance of your school helps keep the facility healthier for students and teachers alike. Thorough school cleaning services can also help prevent any major issues, such as pest infestations, allergen buildup, and irritant accumulation. To ensure that your school is ready for students in the fall, use a school cleaning checklist for the summer months to deeply clean all areas of the facility.
School Cleaning Checklist
Make sure your cleaning crew takes care of the following areas:
- Sweep and mop tile, wood, or vinyl floors.
- Vacuum carpets and rugs to eliminate any buildup, dust, or allergens.
- Deep clean stained surfaces and deep clean them using an EPA-approved stain remover.
Walls and Windows
- Use a microfiber cloth and all-purpose cleaner or glass cleaner to wash walls and windows to eliminate a year’s worth of dirt, dust, and allergens.
- Wipe down lockers and cubbies with an all-purpose cleaner.
- Mop bathroom floors.
- Wipe down the stall door, toilet, toilet paper holder, and toilet handle with an all-purpose cleaner.
- Clean the sinks and mirrors with an all-purpose cleaner, focusing on faucet handles.
- Wipe down walls, doors, and door handles.
- Check that the plumbing and drains are working properly.
- Spray or power wash outdoor recreational equipment such as playgrounds.
- Wash indoor recreational equipment with an all-purpose cleaner.
- Wipe down often-used athletic gear such as balls to eliminate germs.
- Power wash dirty structures, including the school’s exterior walls, signs, or sidewalks.
- Inspect exterior lighting to ensure it’s functioning properly. Replace any non-working light bulbs.
- Check the lighting in each classroom, hallway, and office. Remove the cover or shades on fixtures to wipe away any dust or debris.
- Ensure that all light fixtures have functioning bulbs, and replace those that are no longer working.
Once you're finished, your school grounds should look fresh and shiny for a new year of learning. If you need a professional cleaning service to take care of your school, contact the experts at ServiceMaster Clean today. We'll work with you to create your own comprehensive cleaning schedule to fit your needs. Find out more about our school cleaning services today.