Is your office as germ-free as you want it to be? While you may take the time to quickly dust and vacuum regularly, many germ hot spots in your office may surprise you – and require a bit more from your current cleaning routine.
To protect the health and safety of your staff and visitors, ServiceMaster Commercial Cleaning Services Carol Stream shares the top six overlooked and unexpecting places that can be a hotbed for germs and some tips to keep them in check (and how our office building cleaning services can help).
The Top 6 Unexpected Places Where Germs Lurk in Your Office
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), common surfaces like doorknobs, keyboards, phones, desks, and even water fountain handles are some of the most germ-filled places in any office space. But let's dive a little deeper, shall we?
Here are the six germ hotbeds that you may be overlooking in your office:
- Underneath Keyboard Keys – It's common knowledge that keyboards can be germ-ridden, but few people realize that underneath the keys are often more germ-laden. Tiny crumbs, dust, and other debris can fall into the nooks and crannies, providing an ideal breeding ground for bacteria – right below your fingers.
- Coffee Machine Buttons or Touchscreens – Coffee machines are communal touchpoints that may not be cleaned as often as they should be. When you consider the number of people who touch these buttons or screens after coughing, sneezing, or even just touching other contaminated surfaces, it's clear that the coffee machine can quickly become a hotbed for germs.
- Lanyards and ID Badges – These items are rarely cleaned, yet they’re constantly handled throughout the day, often by hands that have come into contact with other germ-infested areas. Furthermore, when people are out for lunch or use the restroom, these badges can pick up additional germs from these environments.
- Stationery – Pens, staplers, scissors, and other office supplies shared among staff can carry a surprising amount of germs. They are frequently passed from hand to hand without being sanitized, so they spread germs quite effectively.
- Floor Mats – Floor mats, particularly those at entrance ways, can harbor a surprising number of germs. As people walk in and out of the office, they track in dirt, bacteria, and other contaminants from outside. Despite this, floor mats are often overlooked during cleaning, making them a hidden hotspot for germs. Regular vacuuming and deep-cleaning of these mats can significantly reduce their germ load.
- Personal Electronics – While it might seem obvious that shared electronics would harbor germs, many people don't consider their own personal devices – cell phones, tablets, earbuds, etc. We touch these items regularly, often immediately after touching other surfaces, making them a prime candidate for germs. Setting up a personal device-specific or general disinfection cart in the office can make a huge difference.
And, of course, this is far from an exhaustive list – any communal surface that is touched regularly should be sanitized and disinfected as often as possible to reduce the risk and spread of germs and viruses around your space.
The Risks Associated with a Germ-Infested Office
Business owners and facility managers shoulder a significant responsibility for maintaining a healthy and safe office environment. Because of this, it's essential to be aware of the potential risks lurking in unclean nooks and corners of the office.
Here are the critical risks associated with a germ-laden office:
- Greater exposure to health hazards, including common colds, influenza, and COVID-19.
- An increase in employees falling ill, leading to more sick leaves.
- Disruptions to work schedules and productivity.
- Negative first impressions for visitors and lower employee morale.
- Potential legal issues due to neglect.
Ignoring the risks of germs in the office can harm everybody's health and affect productivity, morale, and company reputation. Hence, regular office cleaning is not just about aesthetics. It’s crucial to running a successful business!
How Do You Clean Your Office Professionally?
You probably feel a bit icky – and even overwhelmed after reading this blog – but don't worry! You don't have to sit idly by. With the right office cleaning plan and the team, you can ensure that germs are eliminated and don't run rampant through your office.
Here are some important things to remember when keeping your office clean:
- Clean Regularly – A regular cleaning schedule is the foundation for any successful office. This can be completed by your team, a professional team, or a mix of both!
- Don't Forget the Deep Clean – Starting with a deep clean, and following up with regular cleaning, is essential to keep germs from spreading. But remember, a deep clean requires the use of more commercial-grade products and equipment.
- Use the Right Supplies – Double-check that your cleaning products are approved for use in an office environment. See the EPA's list of recommended products that meet safety standards and won't damage surfaces.
- Trust the Professionals – When it comes to keeping your office clean, there's no one better to trust than ServiceMaster Commercial Cleaning Services Carol Stream. Our highly trained cleaning experts understand all the places germs hide and rely on leading organizations like the CDC and OSHA to ensure the health and safety of your office space.
While you can certainly check out our commercial cleaning blog for more tips on keeping your office clean, it's best to reach out to our team for an honest assessment of your office's needs and an upfront quote!
Schedule Your Nearby Office Cleaning with ServiceMaster Commercial Cleaning Services Carol Stream
Ready to say hello to a germ-free office? Reach out to ServiceMaster Commercial Cleaning Services Carol Stream to learn more about our cleaning plans and services for businesses in the nearby and surrounding areas.
Whether you're ready for janitorial office cleaning services or in need of a one-time comprehensive clean to get things back up to speed, our cleaning team is here to meet your needs!
Contact us today and get started on the path to a safe and healthy office environment! Your team, visitors, and clients will thank you for it.