3 Benefits of Cleaning Your Desk Off (National Clean Off Your Desk Day)
Did you celebrate National Clean Off Your Desk Day this year? It happens the second Monday in January, but it's never too late to participate. In fact, cleaning your desk off regularly has concrete benefits. Not only will it help you declutter both mentally and physically, having a clean workspace can actually help increase your efficiency, professionalism and overall image within the organization. Read on to discover how National Clean Your Desk Day can help you stay organized, healthier and on top of your game, and get tips on the best ways to clean off your desk any time of year to promote happier, healthier work.
Why Should You Clean off Your Desk?
You'll be more focused. Without all those extra sticky notes, office supplies and piles of papers scattered around your desk, you'll be much less distracted so you can actually focus on the task at hand. You may even find yourself being more efficient, since you'll know exactly where the items you need are located at all times, rather than wasting time digging through piles of work to find that one important document. Toss what you don't need and file what you do, and see how much faster you are at getting things done.
You'll have more room to work. In any office, desk space is a hot commodity. You may even see coworkers move to conference rooms or common areas just to have space to spread out. In most cases, all the space they could possibly need is hidden right under the clutter on their very own desks. Don't be that Clean off your desk now so you'll have plenty of space to spread out and focus when the next big project comes your way.
You'll appear more professional. Desks are personal, and the cleanliness of your desk can say just as much about you as your own clothes and appearance. Having a clear workspace makes you appear more organized, capable and considerate. In fact, maintaining a clean, professional desk can improve both your and your company's image, especially when clients and upper management come to visit.
The Best Ways to Clean off Your Desk
If you're ready to clean off your desk, start with these simple steps from the experts at ServiceMaster Clean:
- Clear everything off your desk. Starting with a clean slate lets you quickly sanitize your entire space and ensures you only put back the supplies that you actually need and use.
- Sanitize all surfaces. Everything on your desk can harbor germs and dust. Use sanitizing wipes to freshen the surfaces and clean off your monitors, keyboard, desktop, phone and any other items you touch frequently.
- Organize small supplies. Paper clips, post-it notes, pens and other supplies you need all the time deserve a designated area with convenient compartments, preferably within arm's reach. Once you find a home for each office supply, make sure they stay where they belong when not in use. At the same time, don't overcrowd your space with small supplies. Only make room for what you regularly use, and leave everything else in the supply closet where it belongs.
- Tidy your paperwork. Which files and papers do you actually need to keep on your desk, and which can be moved to a filing system or thrown away? Get rid of the things that you don't actively need to look at, and you'll focus better on the tasks that matter while appearing way more organized to boot.
- Use drawers to store the papers and supplies that you don't use every day.
- Keep a trash can close. With a trashcan by your desk, you'll reduce the risk of old papers piling up and be more likely to keep your cleaning momentum going.
Remember: you can celebrate National Clean Off Your Desk Day at any time of year. Once you've cleaned and organized your desk, maintain it all year long by spending roughly five minutes at the end of each week to put away loose items and clean exposed surfaces. That way, you'll appear clean, organized and professional at the start of every week. From the experts at ServiceMaster Clean, happy cleaning!